Common remedies the people of Crete use for aches, pains and more, as well as remedies from the past.
- Rosemary assists in stomach ache and earache relief.
- Lemon juice and lemon leaf tea aid the digestive system, and also soothe sore throats.
- Spearmint (in tea, compress, or oil form) helps with stomach ache and bleeding gums. It can also be used as an antiseptic for wounds.
- Artichokes are good for the nervous system and asthma.
- Sage infusion helps with colds and high blood pressure.
- Garlic relieves tooth pain when crushed and applied to tooth.
- Blackberries assist with gastrointestinal problems.
- Vinegar reduces swelling from insect bites.
- Mountain marjoram calms nerves and combats insomnia.
In the old days…
- … Cretans warmed dry mallow in a frying pan, and then tied it over the throat with a handkerchief to soothe soreness.
- … raki, a local clear alcoholic beverage, was used as a compress against fever, and was rubbed on the back to relieve pain.
- … sore eyes were comforted by boiling an egg, cutting it in half, and placing the warm egg on the eye.
- … burns were treated with milk curd.